Proposals to increase the pupil numbers of Gosforth Park First School
Newcastle City Council, Children Education and Skills Directorate, Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH.
- Notice is hereby given, in accordance with S19(2)(b)(ii) of the Education and Inspections Act 2006 that Newcastle City Council intends to enlarge the premises to increase the capacity of Gosforth Park First School, Granville Road, Broadway East, Gosforth, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE3 5JQ (no. 391/2005) from 1st September 2023.
- To enable Gosforth Park First School to increase to the proposed capacity, the school will expand into the former Broadway East First School premises which is located adjacent to Gosforth Park First School on the existing site.
- The demand for school places across Newcastle has been growing rapidly and from existing and planned housing developments, particularly the large housing development at Newcastle Great Park which is now well-established.
- The Local Authority has a statutory duty to provide enough good school places for the children in the city and has been working with schools and trusts across Newcastle to create more school places, where needed.
- The expansion of Gosforth Park First School is directly related to the relocation of Broadway East First School to Newcastle Great Park. This decision was made by the Cabinet of the City Council in November 2017 following stakeholder consultation and completion of a statutory process. In making this decision, Cabinet committed to ensuring that there would be sufficient places in the local area following the relocation of Broadway East.
- It is proposed that Gosforth Park First School should increase from one and a half form entry to a two-form entry school. This means that up to 60 places will be available in each year group and that the total capacity of the school will increase from 225 pupil places to 300 pupil places. It is expected that the school will admit up to 60 pupils into reception class in September 2023 and thereafter. The nursery provision will remain at 26 (52 part-time) places.
- The proposed expansion to Gosforth Park First School is a ‘prescribed alteration’ under the School Organisation (Prescribed Alterations to Maintained Schools) England Regulations 2013. The school will expand on its existing site and utilise Broadway East First School’s building once they have moved to their new site. The building will be remodelled and refurbished and is expected to be completed by the summer 2023.
- A non-statutory stakeholder consultation has already been undertaken. There were 38 responses to this consultation with 94% (36) of respondents supporting the proposal.
- Copies of this proposal may be obtained from the Headteacher of Gosforth Park First School, on the school website www.gosforthpark.newcastle.sch.uk or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anybody can object to or make comments on the proposal. Objections or comments should be sent to Newcastle City Council, School Organisation, Children, Education and Skills, Civic Centre, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 8QH or email: email@example.com and must be received by 3rd June 2022
Signed: Authorised Officer, Newcastle City Council
Date of publication: 6th May 2022